Saturday, March 14, 2009

Prenatal Classes

This weekend Todd and I are spending 12 hours in prenatal classes. I know we're probably a bit early, but this is just the time that worked best with our schedule. So far it has gone well. Todd was very anxious about what sort of topics or discussions would come up, but I think it has been a positive and helpful experience for both of us.
We got to tour the birthing suites at the hospital and learn about when to go to the hospital, and saw some videos. Overall they have been informational and helped prepare both of us (especially Todd) for some things to expect. We've also learned about the different pain interventions, but haven't quite decided what we think about these yet.
Another thing that we learned about is that there is a volunteer doula service in our area. We didn't know this exsisted or much about what a doula is. For those of you wondering, a doula is a person trained to support the mother and father during pregnancy, and there with you throughout the pregnancy. Todd thinks this is good, because he thinks he is going to have a hard time with the process and that I am in pain. The doula can help assure him that is alright. I think it's good because Todd might be very axious and it will be good to have someone I am familiar with there to help keep me calm.
So, we are planning on utilizing this doula service. We get paired up with a doula through the service and then get to meet with her a few times prior to the birth to make sure we are comfortable together. I'll have to let you all know when I find out more.
Things with the baby are going well. He is moving around quite a bit and my belly is getting even bigger. My stomach muscles are not liking what it happening and are letting me know. I am no longer able to do jumping-jacks or much jumping at all at tae kwon do class. Oh well, I knew it would get to this point.
I guess that's all for now.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you for getting the birthing classes out of the way; they are time consuming. As for the pain, you can totally do it Jill! I used the hypnobabies techniques and I felt they really helped me get through each contraction. I didn't use any pain meds, but I imagine that the techniques would be helpful no matter what options you choose for pain relief.

    We also had a doula and I thought her services were beyond helpful. Even though Josh was very involved, it was nice to have someone else that was there just for me. This way, there was always someone at my side (while the other person was getting me cold wash clothes or water - I was really hot during labor). I think going with a doula is a great decision.

    Keep up the bloggin girl! I'm sure more people are reading than you think!

    ReplyDelete