Monday, August 20, 2012

Black Belt Camp

Every year the second weekend in August is Black Belt Camp. We have been going together for, I think, seven years, and Todd a number or years before that. Black belt camp is where a bunch (200-250) of black belts from our tae kwon do organization get together to train and camp at Maplewood State Park.
We look forward to this weekend for the training opportunities as well as getting to spend some quality time hanging out with our tae kwon do friends.  This year was no exception, the weather was great and we even had five of our own black belts from our Ashland gym attend this year.  Below is the Greenquist Academy group (Todd's instructor's students). I heard that we brought arou 130 students from Greenquist Academy, what a good looking group.

Orange arrow pointing to Todd, I am just behind his right shoulder.
Since having children keeping some of these pre-children weekends and activities going can be challenging (we have only been camping outside of black belt camp once since Xander was born). Fortunately for us, Todd's dad and his dad's girlfriend, Carol, have a cabin about 25 minutes from the state park. So the black belt weekend for mom and dad has become a Granpa Mark and Grandma Carol weekend for the boys.  This year Flint was a bit challenging with his teething, but I think they still had a pretty good time. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictres to pass along.
We got back in the car to come home to Wisconsin and asked Xander, "what was your favorite part of the weekend," without hesitating he answered, "Fishing!"  Xander and Grandpa Mark took the paddleboat out and caught fish. We heard all about how they had to go back to shore to get an anchor so they could stay in the weeds and caught FOUR fish.
I think Xander is pretty excited for his weekend at Grandpa Mark and Grandma Carol's cabin next summer, Flint will be ready to fish by then, and I know we are looking forward already to next year's Black Belt camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment